OCR Scanners or Optical Character Recognition scanners in full are devices or software used to scan text in printed documents and pictures and convert them to electronic text. They make document editing easy with the aid of word processors. Most document scanners come with OCR software or allow users install one.
Advantages of OCR Scanners
- Enables fast document searching
- Makes documents easily editable
- No need to retype documents
Features of a good OCR Scanner include;
- Accurate Character recognition
- Accurate Page layout reconstruction
- Multi-engine voting technology
- Support for several languages
- Searchable PDF output support
- Good User interface
Best OCR Scanners
The best OCR scanners in 2018 based on user reviews are:
1. Fujitsu Scanscap Scanners
These scanners provide top notch OCR scanning capability in addition to other features such as:
- Best-in-class performance at almost every level
- Built-in Wi-Fi
- Dual-core CPU-mounted “GI” processor
- IOS, Android, & Kindle fire compatibility
- Productivity software included
- Scan up to 260 pages on the go
2. HP ScanJet Pro 3000 s3 Sheet-feed OCR Scanner
HP Scanjet Pro 3000 is very fast (up to 35 pages per minute) and has several features such as: two-sided scanning, auto document feeder, automatic crop, plus hole removal, background cleanup, edge erase.
It has a one year warranty and allows users scan directly to smartphones and tablets with optional wireless accessory and HP JetAdvantage Capture App.
3. CZUR ET16 Plus Document Scanner
CZUR Scanner provides advanced OCR scanning features as well as others such as:
- Innovative Side Lighting
- Updated auto-flatten & finger removal feature.
- Smarter tilt correction & auto-copping
- Conversion of scanned pages to editable document (Word/ PDF/ TIFF formats supported).
- Multiple items scanning
- Multiple operating mode
- Compatible with several material types e.g. books, business cards, vouchers
- Device control support
Best OCR Software
The best OCR scanner software in 2018 based on user reviews are:
Considered the fastest, best and most accurate OCR app, OmniPage allows you convert all types of document to searchable PDF or MS Word format. Its features include: Cross-platform support, Multiple Document Type Support, Easy to use, Windows OS compatible, Can handle high volumes of documents from several devices, Document archiving, Document conversion in cloud storage. Omnipage OCR scanner software pricing starts at $120.
2. ABBYY FineReader
This OCR software is easy to use and provides high accuracy. It has several features such as image enhancement, barcode recognition, command line integration, digital camera OCR and intelligent document layouts. It Is available as Mac & Windows OS apps. Abby Finereader OCR pricing starts at $250.
This OCR app provides document scanning services at affordable prices, it is very accurate and has a lot of top notch features. Its features include: Support 50+ page files, business card recognition, automatic processing of hot folders, Mac OS support. Languages supported include: English, French, German, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Japanese , Simplified Chinese and Korean.
4. Soda PDF
This software is specially for converting almost all types of files to PDF format, it currently supports over 300 file formats. It provides Windows, Mac & Web Apps, Multi-device support and has a $110 annual subscription fee.
5. Adobe Acrobat DC
This is a very popular OCR app but it comes at quite a steep price of $230 yearly. Its features include: Windows & Mac OS support, Paper, photos, PDFs support, Handy signature features, etc.