Web hosting is simply the space a website occupies on the internet, the internet is a connection of several servers across the world hence hosting takes place on a web server connected to the internet. Without web hosting, a website cannot be accessed on the world wide web. Servers on which websites are usually very expensive and as such are rarely owned by individuals, they are majorly owned by companies called web hosts or web hosting companies and the servers are kept and maintained in a dat center.
Website owners pay these web hosting companies a specified amount monthly or yearly depending on the resources needed by their website.
Things to Consider when choosing a Web Host
- Uptime: This refers to the percentage time which the web host’s server is online, due to several factors both controllable and uncontrollable, web servers can be offline. This is very detrimental to your website because users will not be able to access it and it can cause your Google ranking to drop therefore you have to use a web host that guarantees at least a 99.9% uptime always.
- Security: Website security is very important because an unprotected website can easily be targeted by hackers who most times redirect your traffic to malicious websites causing a drop in your traffic and a possible Google penalty if you don’t resolve it quickly. Therefore, it is imperative to use a webhost that has the latest and best security features enabled on their servers and even then, u=you still have to protect your website with security tools such as Cloudflare, Wordfence Security and Sucuri Security.
- Cost: This refers to the total cost of running the server not just the monthly or yearly hosting bill, some web hosts are very crooked and deceptive and lure unsuspecting customers into using additional stuff such as storage and security at a very high price so be sure of all the features covered by the base price you are paying for your hosting to avoid hidden charges.
- Ease of migration to another host: There might come a time when you are no longer satisfied with your web hosting provider and want to switch to another. Some web hosts make it extremely difficult to move ypur website to another host by putting a lot of limitations, to avoid this I personally use only web hosts that use Cpanel software so that I can easily create a cpanel backup and upload it on the new host’s cpanel and have my site restored to the state it was on the other host immediately.
List of Top Web Hosting Companies in Nigeria
The biggest and most popular web hosting companies in the world are in the US, examples are Bluehost, Inmotion Hosting, GoDaddy, Dreamhost, Amazon AWS and many more however there are a couple of web hosting companies in Nigeria giving them a run for their money with good and affordable hosting services.
The main advantage Nigerian web hosting companies offer over their foreign counterparts is the ability to pay easily in Naira with a normal debit card or physically in the bank unlike the others which require you to have a Mastercard or Visacard and even then, payment might still not be allowed by the bank. Also, sometimes hosting with Nigerian web hosts is cheaper than hosting abroad.
The most popular web hosting companies in Nigeria are:
Smartweb Online Solutions
Review of Web Hosting Companies in Nigeria
Cheap Web Hosting in Nigeria
Cheap web hosting is a relative term as there are many different types of hosting and features to consider. These factors include
- Type of Hosting: Shared Hosting, Virtual Private Servers – VPS, Dedicated Servers, Cloud Servers, etc
- Server Specifications: Bandwidth, Disk Space, Number of Domains, Databases, etc
In order to critically analyse cheapness of hosting, you have to know which hosting you want exactly and compare prices from different web hosts for that particular hosting. However, based on the overall lowest prices for hosting plans from each Nigerian web hosting company not considering the type of hosting or the server specifications, these are the cheapest web hosting companies and plans in Nigeria.
Garanntor – Starts at 125 Naira monthly i.e. 1500 Naira yearly
HostNowNow – Starts at 2000 Naira yearly
GlobalHosting247.com – Starts at 2.250 Naira yearly
Registeram – Starts at 2500 Naira yearly
Smartweb Online Solutions – Starts at 3500 Naira yearly
Whogohost- Starts from 400 Naira monthly, 4000 Naira yearly for shared hosting
Web4Africa – Starts at 4500 Naira yearly
Utiware – Starts at 5000 Naira yearly
Best Web Hosting Companies in Nigeria
Here is a list of the best web hosting companies in Nigeria compiled from reviews of users of each service. Please note that I am not endorsing any of these web hosts.
- Registeram.com.ng: Registeram web hosting has been around for a while now and offers quality web hosting and domain registration services, they offer between 500MB to 30GB disk space and between 2GB to 90GB bandwidth. Their prices range from 2500 Naira to 75,000 Naira annually. Payments can be made online or in the bank.
- HostNowNow.com: HostNowNow is also one of the best web hosting companies in Nigeria. They offer a wide range of web hosting services at affordable prices. They are currently one of the cheapest web hosts in Nigeria with a base plan of just 2000 Naira yearly.
- GlobalHosting247.com: GlobalHosting247 prides itself as one of the best and most popular web hosting companies in Nigeria. The company also offers one of the cheapest rates charging as low as 2250 Naira yearly for 1GB Disk Space and 15GB bandwidth.
- SmartWeb.com.ng: SmartWeb Online Solutions is one of the oldest Nigerian web hosts and was launched in 2004. It offers a wide range of hosting services such as Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated Servers and Platinum Servers.
- Web4Africa.ng: Web4Africa is also a very good web host which offers a variety of web hosting services such as Virtual Private Servers (VPS), Reseller hosting, Dedicated Servers and Windows Web Hosting. They have average pricing which starts at 4500 Naira yearly for 1GB Disk Space and 5GB Bandwidth.
- WhoGoHost.com: WhoGoHost is probably the most popular Nigerian web host and offers good services at affordable prices. WhoGoHost plans start at 400 Naira monthly and 4000 Naira yearly . They offer both monthly and yearly plans making it a good choice for people who have a tight budget or who want to be able to easily change hosts.
- Utiware.net: Utiware is another good Nigerian web host which offers flexible payment in Naira and also has several types of hosting services such as cloud hosting, dedicated servers, reseller hosting and shared hosting. Utiware’s pricing ranges from 5,000 Naira to 350,000 Naira yearly.
- Garanntor.ng: Garanntor is a relatively new web hosting company in Nigeria and was launched in 2016. They offer very cheap prices for hosting and give users the option to pay monthly as against yearly for most Nigerian web hosts. Garanntor offers shared hosting, cloud servers, dedicated servers and other hosting services.