Vanguard Newspaper Nigeria also called Vanguardngr is one of the foremost newspapers in Nigeria both in print format and online. Its website is www.vanguardngr.com, here are some facts about your favourite newspaper that you probably didn’t know.
- It was founded in 1983 and first hit newsstands on June 3rd, 1984
- It was founded by veteran journalist Sam Amuka-Pemu (Former Editor of Sunday Times and 1st MD of Punch Newspaper) and three of his friends.
- It is headquartered in Lagos
- It’s parent company is called Vanguard Media Limited
- It is one of the few newspapers considered free from political control
- It was suspended in June 1990 by Colonel Raji Rasaki – The Military Governor of Lagos State
- It was recommended for helping the government to put an end to the militancy in the Niger Delta through the Amnesty program in 2009
- Its motto is “Towards a better life for the People”
9. It’s sister publications in the 80’s and early 90’s included Mr & Mrs Magazine, Lagos Mirror, Vanguard Yellow Pages, Lagos Law Directory and Sports Now.
10. As of today, Vanguard Media Limited’s publications are Daily Vanguard, Saturday Vanguard, Sunday Vanguard, Financial Vanguard, Allure, Sweet Crude, Hitech, Sports Vanguard, and Cyberlife.
Vanguard News aims to serve the masses through an unwavering commitment to free enterprise, good governance and the rule of law. It is positioned as a family-oriented newspaper also targeted at upwardly mobile executives and captains of industry.
Vanguard’s major features are sports, marketing, advertising, management, maritime, hi-tech, energy, aviation, banking, business, tourism, politics, education, health among others.
The newspaper features several respected columnists in the Nigerian journalism industry such as Kola Animashaun, Dele Sobowale, Pini Jason, Tony Momoh, Bisi Lawrence, Bunmi Sofola, Late Aig-Imoukhuede and many more. Based on information from the Vanguard website, the newspaper has a print circulation of 120,000 daily.
The publishing company has organized public lectures at different points in time during which top scholars and executives have spoken on various topics affecting Nigeria. Vanguard organizes the annual Banking Awards in Nigeria which has grown to be respected locally and internationally as a reputable banking awards event.
The company’s vision is “To be the best media group with the widest reach through innovation backed by excellent service delivery, highly motivated human capital and the latest technology.” Vanguard Newspaper Nigeria makes its income primarily from the sale of daily newspapers and adverts on its print and online news distribution channels.
The cost of adverts of Vanguard varies depending on the type and placement of the ad, for example, a sponsored post currently goes for 100,000 Naira and advertisers can buy a minimum of 500,000 impressions for display and video ads on the Vanguard website.
Vanguard Nigeria also has one of the highest social media following among newspapers in Nigeria with over 3.1 million followers on Facebook and 2.07 million followers on Twitter.
Steve Edegbo is the team lead at Naijatechhub.com. Naijatechhub is a team of writers and researchers dedicated to providing the best up to date information on topics in Nigeria. If you need more information, kindly contact us.