This list is compiled from Alexa’s Top Websites in Nigeria in 2016 and lists only websites owned by persons and companies based in Nigeria. International websites such as LinkedIn, Google, etc are excluded.
*Please note that Alexa Rankings change daily hence some websites might rank higher or lower than at the time of compiling this post which was 30th November 2016.
For those who cannot view the infographic slides, here is the text version.
1. Jumia – Was founded in 2012 by Raphael Afaedor and Tunde Kehinde. Jumia is present in several African countries and is owned by Rocket Internet Group, Millicom, and other investors. Jumia Nigeria’s CEO is Juliet Anammah. Nicholas Martin and Jeremy Doutte are the co-CEO’s of Jumia Africa.
2. Nairaland – Is a one man business and was founded by Oluwaseun Osewa in 2005, he is the sole owner and CEO of the platform which is the biggest forum in Africa and one of the biggest in the world.
3. Bet9ja – It was established in 2013 and has dislodged Nairabet to become the biggest football betting site in Nigeria, it is owned by Kunle Soname and its CEO is Ayo Ojuroye.
4. Konga – Konga was founded in 2012 by Sim Shagaya who is still its Chairman. Konga’s CEO is Shola Adekoya and the ecommerce company is owned by several private investors.
5. Naij – I’m sure most people will find this surprising but Naij.com is owned by a Russian company named Genesis Technology Partners, it was founded in 2012 and is reportedly owned by a Belarusian man named Vital Laptenok.
6. Linda Ikeji’s Blog – Well, everyone knows this. Linda Ikeji’s Blog was founded in 2007 and is wholly owned by Linda Ikeji.
7. Naijaloaded – Back in the days when data was so expensive, Naijaloaded reigned supreme as they provided free cheat codes for browsing, it has however now been rebranded and is one of the topmost music and video download websites in Nigeria. It was founded in 2009 by Makinde Azeez.
8. Guaranty Trust Bank Online – GTB has the most active internet banking platform in Nigeria hence its consistent top ranking. GTB was founded by Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun and its current CEO is Segun Agbaje.
9. Vanguardngr – This is the online version of Vanguard newspaper. The newspaper company was founded in 1983 by Sam Amuka-Pemu and is owned by him.
10. Punch – Is the online version of the Nigerian Punch newspaper and was founded in 1971 by James Aboderin and Sam Amuka, its current Publisher is Ajibola Ogunsola.
11. Tooxclusive – Was founded in 2010 and is one of Nigeria’s top music and music video download site and is owned by Tyler Duncan Sotubo who is also its CEO.
12. Jiji – The classifieds website which took Nigeria by storm is part of the Genesis Technology Partners group which also owns Naij.com, Jiji was established in 2014 and was co-founded by Anton Wolyansky who doubles as its CEO.
13. Dailypost.ng – Is owned by Daily Post Nigeria newspapers which was founded in 2015 by Mr James Bamisaye who is also its CEO and Publisher.
14. Interswitch – Nigeria’s top payment gateway was established by Mitchell Elegbe in 2002, The company is owned majorly by Helios Investment Partners and has other investors. Mr Mitchell Elegbe serves as its CEO.
15. JAMB Online – Nigerian government website for registration of JAMB exams and result checking.
16. Nairabet – Nigera’s first online football betting site was founded by Otunba Akin Alabi in 2009. Alabi is the sole owner and CEO of Nairabet.
17. Quickteller – Quickteller is owned by Interswitch and was established in 2004.
18. Abu.edu.ng – Ahmadu Bello University’s Official website.
19. Npower.gov.ng – Nigeria Federal government N-Power official website.
20. Pulse.ng – Pulse Nigeria is owned by Ringier Nigeria, a division of Swiss Investment Group, Ringier AG. Its CEO is Rich Tanksley and its Managing Director is Osagie Alonge.
21. Notjustok.com – Founded by Damola Ogundele in 2006, Damola has been the CEO of Notjustok from inception till date.
22. Hotnigerianjobs – Is currently the leading jobs website in Nigeria and was founded in 2009.
23. Surebet247 – Was founded by Olasupo Badmus who is its owner and CEO.
24. OLX – Olx is an international company founded by Fabrice Grinda and Alec Oxenford. It is owned by Naspers and its Nigerian CEO is Lola Masha.
25. Premiumtimesng – Nigeria’s top investigative online newspaper was founded in 2011 and has Dapo Olorunyomi as its publisher and CEO.
26. Informationng – Was founded in 2009 by Kinsley Ezeani who is its owner and CEO.
27. BellaNaija – One of the first blogs in Nigeria, Bella Naija was founded by Uche Eze in 2006, she has been the CEO and owner ever since.
28. First Bank Nigeria Online – First Bank Nigeria’s official website
29. Merrybet – Was founded by Opeoluwa Fashakin in 2012 and he serves as the CEO.
30. Unilag.edu.ng – University of Lagos’ official website.
31. Remita – Remita is the payment company used for the Nigerian Federal Government’s Treasury Single Account (TSA). It is owned by SystemSpecs limited which was founded in 1991 by John Obaro who is its Managing Director.
32. Fedcivilservice.gov.ng – Nigerian federal civil service official website.
33. Bet365.com – Bet365 is actually an international betting company owned by the Coates family. Its has John and Denise Coates as co-CEO’s.
34. Thenationonlineng – The Nation Newspaper’s online version. It’s MD and Editor in Chief is Mr Victor Ifijeh.
35. Spectranet – Spectranet is one of the leading internet service providers in Nigeria and is an Indian company. It was founded in the year 2000 and its CEO in Nigeria is Dave Venn
36. Guardianng – Online version of The Guardian Newspaper Nigeria Limited which was founded by Alex Ibru in 1983.
37. Unn.edu.ng – University of Nigeria, Nsukka Official Website
38. Sahara Reporters – The popular breaking news and investigative journalism site was founded by Omoyele Sowore in 2006. Sowore is the owner and CEO of the platform.
39. Theinfong – Was founded by Paulinus Okodugha in 2015. He serves as the CEO.
40. Yabaleftonline – The popular news website is reportedly owned and managed by by Nollywood actress Mercy Johnson’s husband Prince Odianosen Okojie.
41. Mtnonline.com – MTN Nigeria’s official website.
42. Wakanow – Popular Nigerian travel booking site was founded by USA basketballer Obinna Ekezie in 2010. Obinna is the MD and CEO of Wakanow.
43. Gistmania – Gistmania was founded by Naijapals founder, Mr Samuel Odofin in 2012.
44. Lindaikejisocial – Founded in 2016 by Linda Ikeji.
45. Dealdey – Online deals site, Dealdey was founded by Konga Founder and CEO, Sim Shagaya in 2011. Dealdey was sold to Ringier Africa Group in 2016.
46. Myjobmag – Was founded in 2011 by Ogugua Belonwu.
47. Tori.ng – Was founded in 2013.
48. Madivas.com – One of the leading fashion and style websites in Nigeria;was founded in 2015.
49. Dailytrust – Official website of Daily Trust Newspaper Nigeria and is owned by some private individuals from Northern Nigeria. Its CEO is Kabiru Yusuf.
50. Vconnect – The Popular business listing website was founded in 2010 by Deepankar Rustagi and Anand Chander Mohan both core members of Singapore based Tolaram Group, . Deepankar serves as the CEO.
51. Thisdaylive – The online version of popular newspaper ‘This Day’. It was founded in 1995 by Nduka Obaigbena.
52. Abokifx.com – The popular exchange rate site gained massive popularity as the Naira crashed against the dollar at the foreign exchange market. Nigerians are daily searching for the value of the Naira to other currencies. It was founded in 2014 and was registered to Dedo Winde back in 2015. The current owner is not known.
53. E-recruiter.ng – – Top Nigerian job listing website founded in 2015.
54. Myschool.com.ng – Leading education related topics website in Nigeria, founded in 2009 by Wilfred Okwudili.
55. Naijapals – Founded by Samuel Odofin in 2008.
56. Ngcareers.com – Founded in 2009 by siblings, Paul Eze and Andrew Eze. Paul is the CEO of the jobs website.
57. 247nigeriannewsupdate – Founded in 2014 and registered to Tunbi Akin.
58. Jobberman – Nigeria’s premier jobs website was founded by Opeyemi Awoyemi and Ayodeji Adewunmi in 2009.
59. Sunnewsonline – Online version of the Sun Newspaper which was founded by Orji Uzor Kalu, a former governor of Abia state in 2001. The current Editor-in-Chief is Eric Osagie.
60. Tribuneonline – Online version of the Nigerian Tribune newspaper founded in 1949 by Obafemi Awolowo.
61. Adelove.com – Founded in 2014 and is a top Nigerian news blog.
62. 360nobs – The popular entertainment website was founded in 2010 by Noble Igwe, Oye Akideinde and Abimbola Soares. Noble Igwe is the CEO of the website.
63. Thecable.ng – One of Nigeria’s top online newspapers was founded in 2014 by former ThisDay editor Simon Kolawole.who is its current CEO.
64. Jobgurus – Was founded by Chinedu Ibekwe in 2012. Chinedu remains the owner and serves as its CEO.
65. Ynaija – The young Nigerian’s internet newspaper was founded in 2010 by Chude Jideonwo and Adebola Williams, it is currently run by Cheta Nwanze who serves as its Managing Editor.
66. Swiftng – Top 4G Internet service provider Swift Nigeria was founded by Charles Anudu in 2002. Mr Anudu still holds the position of CEO.
67. Gossipmill.com – Was founded in 2010 by Somto Monanu.
68. Mediahoarders.ng – Entertainment blog founded in 2016
69. Nigeriabulletin – Top Nigerian newspaper site founded in 2007.
70. Buzznigeria – Founded in 2012 and owned by Alexander Moore Media Group; owners of top websites in Africa such as AnswersAfrica, Buzz South Africa, etc.
71. Smile.com.ng – Smile is a Tanzanian telecoms company which launched Africa’s first commercial 4G LTE network. Smie Nigeria was kaunched in 2014.Smile’s founder and CEO is Irene Charnley and Smile Nigeria’s Managing Director is Godfrey Efeurhobo.
72. Codedwap.com – Founded in 2013 by Olayinka Samuel.
73. Myschoolgist – Top Nigerian education website founded in 2013.
74. Jobzilla.ng – Top Nigerian jobs website founded in 2014.
75. Financialwatchngr.com – Is Nigeria’s leading financial news and information website and was founded in 2015.
76. 1960bet – Was founded by Dotun Ajegbile in 2013. Dotun is the current CEO of the betting website.
77. Valucardnigeria – Also known as Unified Payments Nigeria, it was founded by some leading banks in Nigeria in 1997. It’s Managing Director /CEO is Agada Apochi.
78. Careers24 – Is one of the top career portals in Nigeria and was founded in 2013.
79. Arikair – Official website of Arik Airline, it was founded by Michael Arumemi Ikhide in 2002, he is also its CEO.
80. Channelstv – Official website of Channels Television founded in 1995 by John Momoh and Sola Momoh. John Momoh serves as its CEO.
81. Leadership.ng – The online version of Leadership newspaper. It was established in 2004 by ace journalist and former Presidential candidate, Sam Nda Isaiah.
82. Whogohost – Nigeria’s top web hosting company was founded in 2006 by Jobberman co-Founder Opeyemi Awoyemi. Toba Obaniyi is its CEO.
83. Coolval22 – Is a Nigerian website which features different stories. It was founded in 2012 and is owned by Valentine Ike.
84. Lailasblog – The popular gossip blog is owned by Laila Ijeoma and was founded in 2012.
85. Techcabal – Nigeria’s top tech blog was founded in 2013 by Bankole Oluwafemi.
86. Efritin – The online classifieds platform was established in Nigeria in 2015 and is owned by Somali entrepreneur Zakaria Hersi. Efritin’s current MD is Gbenro Dada.
87. Nairaex.com – Popular Nigerian Bitcoin exchange website NairaEx was founded by David Ajala in 2015.
88. Betensured – Is a football score and other sport prediction website founded and owned by Adeniyi Omotayo in 2015.
89. Winnersgoldenbet – The football betting site was founded in 2013
90. Stelladimokokorkus – The popular gossip blog is owned by Stella Dimoko Korkus.
91. Thenet.ng – The popular entertainment website was founded in 2009 by Ayeni Adekunle Samuel.
92. NaijaTechGuide – Leading Nigerian technology website founded by Paschal Okafor in 2011.
93. Naijaextra – Founded in 2015 by Adebayo Olanrewaju.
94. Slot.ng – Online shop of popular phone dealer Slot Nigeria Limited, Slot is owned by Nnamdi Ezeigbo and was established in 1998.
95. Naira4dollar – Nigerian e-currency exchanger founded in 2007 by Sunday Ejezie who is still its owner and CEO.
96. Smslive247- The popular bulk sms website was founded in 2006 and is owned by Ayodeji Ajala.
97. Today.ng – Breaking news website founded in 2014
98. Yudala – The fastest growing ecommerce website in Nigeria is owned by Billionaire owner of Zinox Group, Leo Stan Ekeh and other investors. It was established in and is currently headed by Prince Nnamdi Ekeh, Leo Ekeh’s son who is also Yudala’s founder.
99. Flyairpeace – The online booking website of Air Peace airline owned by Barrister Allen Onyeama.
100. Flydanaair – The official website of Dana Air owned by an Indian, Birbal Singh Dana.
**Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that the information contained on this page is 100% accurate. However we have done our best to ensure that the information presented here are current and accurate.
If you have any corrections, questions or suggestions on the information presented here, please send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.